Have you ever got tired of having to move all your files to htdocs when you have to test your product? By using a virtual host in XAMPP you can set root folder to a folder other than the default htdocs folder.
- First go to apache/conf/extra folder in your XAMPP installation folder.
- Open httpd-vhosts.conf file using your favorite text editor. (Be sure to make a backup of the file in case something went wrong)
Note – I’m using NotePad ++ for this tutorial
- Add the following code to the file, edit it as required and save the file.
<VirtualHost ksoftlabs.localhost:80> DocumentRoot "G:/KSOFTLABS/Site" ServerName ksoftlabs.localhost <Directory "G:/KSOFTLABS/Site"> Options All AllowOverride All Require all granted </Directory> </VirtualHost>
- Go to Windows\System32\drivers\etc folder and open hosts file using a text editor. (Again, backup the original file before editing)
- Add 127.0.0.1 <Space><Virtual Host Name> to the bottom of the file and save it. You may have to give administrative privileges to save.
- Restart your apache server from XAMPP Control Panel
- Type your Server Name in URL to access the root folder.
- Congratulations! You have successfully created a Virtual Host in XAMPP.